Yoga Teacher Training
Yoga Instructors/Foundation Course (YTT-200, YIC, &YFC)
(Bay Area Chapter)
Yoga Teacher Training (YTT-200) is a yoga teacher training program that prepares the students to teach holistic yoga in the community. This course integrates various aspects of yoga such as asanas, pranayama, kriyas, meditation techniques and the very essence of yogic philosophy into a holistic composite – thus enabling the students to understand and impart the knowledge of yoga in its entirety. Yoga Bharati conducts Yoga Teacher Training every year in the Bay Area.
Along with yoga practice techniques, we provide in depth yogic philosophy from the ancient scriptures of Upanishad, Bhagavad Gita, and Patanjali Yoga Sutras. We are affiliated to Swami Vivekananda Yoga Research Foundation (SVYASA), Bangalore, a premier Yoga University in India.
Yoga Bharati is a Registered Yoga School with Yoga Alliance (RYS 200). After completing YTT-200 course, one can sign up with Yoga Alliance to become RYT-200 certified teacher. We also offer RYT-300 course to enable students to become RYT-500 certified teachers after taking both courses.
Please note that YIC is a subset of YTT-200 and is not RYT-200 course and Bay Area chapter only offers YTT-200.
Yoga Retreat for Yoga Teachers, Students and Regular Yoga Participants:
Sivananda Ashram, Grass Valley, CA
TBD (Fri evening to Sun noon)
Contact us if you are interested - info @ yogabharati.org
YTT (Earlier YIC) IS IN PROCESS
- Presently running at Location (Cupertino Area) - 1081 S De Anza Blvd, San Jose, CA 95129
Modules and Dates/Venues and Fees
Module 1 - Option 1
First Half in Pleasanton Trivalley area - Jan 21st to Feb 19th 2017, Sat and Sun 7am-noon
Second Half at South Bay - April 15th - June 4th, 2017 - students join the main course at South Bay Location
Sivananda Ashram Retreat dates (April 28-30)
Module 1 - Option 2
South Bay - First and Second parts together - (Cupertino area) - March 4th to June 4th - 7am - 11.30am
Sivananda Ashram Retreat dates (April 28-30)
Module 2 - Goes Parallel with Module 1 - Online Wed 6am-7am sessions (using gotomeeting; audio and video)
Module 3 - Two Monthly WorkshopsVenue (Cupertino Area) - 1081 S De Anza Blvd, San Jose, CA 95129
Sept 9th & 10th (Sat and Sun -noon to 4pm)
Oct 14th & 15th (Sat and Sun - noon - 4pm);
Module 4 - Electives - Workshops and Satsangs (30 hours) - See the options below.
Module 5 - Internship (Practicum Training 20 classes)
Module 6 - Field Practice (Practicum Delivery 30 hours) and Field Report
Below are some of our Education Sessions and Workshops announced throughout the year:
- Ayurveda Lifestyle and Education - by Yoga Bharati associated Ayurveda Experts - Quarterly
- Explore Yoga - Workshop for Youth Yoga Teacher Training Students in summer August 2017
- Pranayama - Theory and Practice - by Senior Yoga Bharati Teachers - Quarterly
- Yogic Cleansing Kriya - Quarterly
- Deepening and Advancing in Yoga - Bi Yearly
- Patanjali Yoga Sutra, Bhagavad Gita based discourses - by Shri N.V.Raghuram (April or June) and Swami Bodhananda (Nov)
- Stress Free Parenting Workshops - Fall Semester and Winter/Spring Semester
- Early Bird - $100 until Jan 7th for Option 1 students and Jan 28th for Option 2 students
- Student Discount - $100
- Senior Discount - $100
- Family Discount - $100
- Low Income - If you come under low income category per California standards, we can offer $500 discount (restrictions apply)
*Early Bird can be combined with other discounts; No other discounts can be combined.
Yoga Education Course General Information
Yoga Bharati allows incremental learning for those who are interested to study yoga. Following are the three incremental courses one can sign up and upgrade during the course (restrictions apply). One or more of the courses may be available in a given location, but not all. For details regarding the course at a particular location, please contact us. Prospectus of the course will be announced in the flyer along with course dates.
1. YFC - Yoga Foundation Course
2. YIC - Yoga Instructor Course
3. YTT-200 - Yoga Teacher Training compliant with Yoga Alliance RYT-200 curriculum
Listed below are details of the Information Session and the course itself.
Yoga Foundation Course (YFC) provides in-depth yoga knowledge and foundation of yoga philosophy to be able to take the practice to the deeper levels at body, mind, and spiritual levels. This course is meant for people who are looking for in-depth knowledge of yoga and its philosophy for their personal interests. This course enables them to practice yoga with deeper awareness, hence enhancing the benefits of yoga. One may repeat this course as needed for deepening the self practice.
Yoga Instructor Course (YIC)
YIC is a certificate program designed by Viveknananda Yoga Research Foundation VYASA (also known as SVYASA), a premier Yoga University in Bengaluru, India. This course is suitable for students who would want to learn basic teaching skills and want to volunteer to teach in their community and friends. It does not enable one to take this at the career level. Youth age 14-18 who are interested in volunteering in the community to teach yoga under an adult teacher can take this course. This course is also available for students who are interested in self-practice and community service. Please note that this option may not be available at all locations. Contact us for details.
Based on 25 years of in-depth study in the field of yoga and spirituality VYASA has published many research papers on yoga and its therapeutic applications. Our goal is to combine the best of the West (modern scientific research) with the best of the East (yoga and spirituality) in making our Yoga Teachers Training , a unique program.
Yoga Teacher Training (YTT-200)
Yoga Teacher Training is a RYT200 certified course through Yoga Alliance. This includes all the modules of YIC and additional modules for in-depth knowledge of Yoga Anatomy, teaching methodologies, practicum, and Ethics and Boundaries of business practice. YTT-200 is also the foundation for those interested in the advanced programs, such as therapy oriented course at Yoga Bharati. Please note that this option may not be available at all locations. Contact us for details.
Our Objective of Yoga Education
As Swami Vivekananda says "Education is a man making, life making, character building assimilation of ideas". Our yoga education courses are designed to systematically train the student in the techniques of yoga and to begin his/her own journey of self-development and greater self-awareness. We believe in practice before preaching. Apart from this, our courses provide:
- The ability to integrate body, mind, and soul through various yoga techniques
- Holistic understanding of the philosophy of yoga
- Stress management, prevention of stress related ailments
- Introduction to anatomy, Sanskrit, and Ayurveda
- Improved memory, creativity & calmness through pranayama, meditation
- Empowerment to serve the society through yoga careers
- Yoga philosophy taught by the experts in the field of yoga
General Course Details
Our courses Modules are as follows (Bay Area):
Note: Different Chapters may schedule this differently.
Module 1 – Theory & Practice (usually 3 months, weekends only)
- Yoga concept and definitions
- Application of Yoga
- Yoga and Stress Management
- Yoga and Diet
- Teaching Techniques and Introduction to Research
- Philosophy and four streams of Yoga
- Pranayama, meditation, kriyas, bandhas and Mudras
- Introduction to Yoga for Wellness
- Yoga Retreat - Offsite learning for Deep Yogic Experience
Module 2 – Online Classes (parallel with Module 1)
- Online classes on Yoga Practice, Philosophy, and Concepts based on texts such as Yoga Vasishta, Bhagavad Gita and Patanjali Yoga Sutras
- Usually Wednesdays 6am-7am
Module 3 – Monthly Workshops
Monthly Sessions on Yoga Techniques, Yoga Anatomy, Ethics and Boundaries, etc. (Dates are announced during the launch of the course) are offered to enhance the knowledge of Yoga Techniques, Asana alignment and Yoga Anatomy
Module 4 - Electives
These are the workshops that are announced through out the year on various topics. We require 40-50 hours of electives to be taken for certification of different courses. Some examples are below:
- Pranayama and Meditation - By Yogashree N.V.Raghuram
- Concepts and Deepening of Yoga and Pranayama (Theory and Practice) - by Ashwini Surpur
- Advancing in Yoga - By Ekaterina Jeleva and Shriram Sarvotham
- Meditation Workshop - By Swami Bodhananda
- Meditation Teacher Training - By Yoga Bharati and The Center for Spiritual Enlightenment, San Jose
- Bhagavad Gita and Management - by Swami Bodhananda
- Yogic Cleansing Kriyas - Yoga Bharati workshop
Module 5 - Internship (Practicum Training)
- 20 classes of internship (Involves Shadowing and practicum training)
The student is required to assist the primary teacher in the class, and with class logistics in order to get a complete understanding of yoga as a business practice. Yoga session shadowing includes observing the class, the students and their practices, adjusting and helping the students to reach their maximum potential, learning the classroom dynamics, and discussing the session dynamics for 15-20 mins with the senior teacher after the class. The student should maintain a journal of class log and a report on the work done during internship in a prescribed format. The students should submit the journal to the faculty with the mentor's signature. There is also a minimum of 5 hour practicum training under the mentor.
The student is also required to lead some classes under the mentorship of the teacher. Once the student is confident and the teacher approves the student as ready, the student can give practicum delivery (Module 6).
Module 6 Field Practice (Practicum Delivery) & Field Report
Duration: At your pace
- 30 hours of teaching as field practice
- A detailed report on a yoga subject (min 20 pages) is required to be submitted based on the template that we provide to the student. Example: Yoga for Sports, Yoga for Children, Patanjali Yoga Sutras and ethics in Yoga Teaching. Your own research on the topic, the field experience, tesimonials, Your Journey of Yoga through this field practice should be journaled in this Report.
Course and Module Mapping
Yoga Foundation Course – includes Module 1 & 2 (Theory & Practice). No certificate issued.
Yoga Instructor Course – includes Module 1 (Theory & Practice), Module 2 (Online Classes), Module 5 (Internship), and Module 6 (Field Practice and Project Report). YIC Certificate from VYASA . Time Frame provided - 2 years.
Yoga Teacher Training (YTT-200)
Modules 1 through 6 above should all be completed to get the certificate. YIC Certificate from VYASA and Yoga Bharati Certificate with Yoga Alliance RYS 200 logo will be awarded. Time Frame provided - 2 years. Additional fee and bridge course to be taken for the student who exceeded 2 year duration until 4 years. The timeframe expires after 4 years and the student has to re-enroll in the course again.
YTT/YIC for Youth (under 18 years of age)
Yoga Bharati believes in inculcating yoga culture to the young hearts. We provide the youth with all the training that adults get, but with special breakout sessions so yoga education is given at their level of understanding. We mentor them through our special youth yoga teachers. We will enable them for yoga teaching by our special mentors. Please contact us for details.
We limit the class size to facilitate personalized attention, therefore it is strongly recommended to register as early as possible.
For any other discounts, please contact us at the above contact address.
Disclaimer: Please consult your doctor before practicing yoga
YTT-200 CALENDAR 2016 (Students Only)
Testimonies of People Who Took YIC/YTT-200
Email: ytt @ yogabharati.org
Phone: (855) 202-7747 / 408-341-YOGA (9642)