- By Savita Joshi
Triphala - Literally means 3 fruits. Triphala, a combination of Amalaki, Haritaki and Bhibitaki is the cornerstone of Ayurveda. Triphala can be taken safely everyday without any side effects. A 2014 review published in the Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences found that triphala is a potent immune modulator and is a potent anti-inflammatory agent. The nutritional aspect of
triphala in the form of its high vitamin C content, presence of linoleic oil and other important nutrients make it more of a tonic. Triphala possess free radical scavenging, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, analgesic, antibacterial, antimutagenic, wound healing, anti-cariogenic, antistress, adaptogenic, anti-diabetic, hypoglycaemic activity and so on. All these characters make “Triphala” one of the most valuable herbal preparations in the world. Triphala is rich in antioxidants, possess antibacterial, anti-viral, anti-cancer property. [JPP 2016; 5(3): 23-27]
As a gentle detoxifier, cleanser Triphala helps strengthen the gut and support health and healing naturally.
Some of the benefits
- Triphala promotes normal blood pressure and blood circulation
- Helps to promote liver health
- Helpful for occasional GI issues
- Helps support body's natural inflammation response
- Support normal functioning of immune system
- Prevents aging and improves mental faculty
- Detoxifies and improves digestion and assimilation
- Stimulates bile flow and peristalsis
- Corrects occasional constipation and cleanses GI tract
- Removes Ama - toxic waste of poor digestion that remain in the body
Triphala is a tridoshic in its nature and has a balancing and rejuvenating effect on all three constitutional elements govern the human life (Vata, Pitta and Kapha). Enjoy Triphala !
Savita Josh, E-RYT, is the Treasurer and the Director of Yoga Therapy Services at Yoga Bharati. Savita teaches yoga therapy for more than eight years with an emphasis on supporting women through prenatal and postnatal yoga, fertility, and other psychosomatic disorders at Yoga Bharati..