Diploma in Yoga Therapy and Wellness
(DYT available only in the Bay Area, California)
Yoga Bharati offers Diploma in Yoga Therapy (DYT), Yoga Wellness Foundation Course. These courses are extensive courses in yoga and its therapeutic applications along with a depth in yoga philosophy from the ancient scriptures of Upanishad, Bhagavad Gita and Patanjali Yoga Sutras. We are affiliated to Swami Vivekananda Yoga Research Foundation (SVYASA), Bangalore, a premier Yoga University in India that has conducted research on yoga and its application to various ailments such as Diabetes, Hypertension, Backpain, Asthma, Cancer, etc. SVYASA has published more than 250 research papers and these are peer reviewed, published in various international journals. This exhaustive and fulfilling course is provided and made easy for the busy working people.
Our Next Information Session (Open House) Sunday Aug 5th, 2018, 3pm
Venue: YB Main Center; 20445 Prospect Rd, Ste #1, San Jose, CA 95129
In this session we provide detailed information about the course, fees structure, dates, pre-requisites, certification requirements and more. We highly encourage prospective students to attend this session and clarify any questions they may have before signing up for the course. Prospective students can also register for the course at this session.
Experienced yoga teacher who teaches yoga to address various disorders in a private practice, in an institution, or in a business setup. Alternatively, one could lead yoga therapy and practice independently in hospitals or health care centers as a senior yoga therapist.
Yoga therapy fundamentals - anatomy and physiology, common ailments, basic medical management and yogic management, case studies, best practices; Yoga Tools such as Asanas, Pranayama, Relaxation and Meditation Techniques and their applications Integrated Approach of Yoga Therapy Concepts, Research Methodologies, Traditional Holistic Systems, and their integration with Yoga Therapy; Psychology, Yogic concept of mind, its distractions and the technique of calming down the mind; Yoga philosophy — yoga texts, their relevance to modern life and their application in yoga therapy; Exposure to most of the necessary areas such as senior yoga, prenatal, kids, care giver stress and yogic Life Coaching; Self study (sadhana) — improving student’s own experience and practice at all levels of personality.
Courses we offer:
- Diploma in Yoga Therapy (International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT) accredited course)
- Yoga Therapy Foundation Course (Applies towards Continued Education units and electives for yoga teachers, DYT, YTT, and AYTT students)
- Diploma in Yoga Therapy Distance Education Support for SVYASA Students (not a certification course).
Pre-requisites: YIC/YTT (Yoga Instructors Course or Yoga Teachers Training)
Below is the description of the course. Please write to us for queries (dyt @ yogabharati.org).
Course Announcement and Details
We deliver the course in seven Modules as below:
Module 1 - Intensive Classroom Sessions (Fall 2018)
Duration: Eight Weekends - Fall 2018 (Sat, Sept 15th - Sun Nov 4th 2018)
Days/Times: Sat and Sun 7am - 1:00pm
Saturday Venue - Tulip Afterschool, Sunnyvale
Sunday Venue - Xpressions Studio, Saratoga
Module 2 - Weekly Online Sessions
Wed: Morning 6am – 7am PST
Through out the duration of the program (2 years) we offer Wednesday morning 6am online sessions (65 weeks). Sessions by experts in the field from Yoga Bharati, SVYASA, Sambodh Society, and other affiliated institutions are offered for the students' enrichment of their yoga therapy tools and techniques. Some of the speakers include Dr. Nagarathna of SVYASA, Yogashree N.V. Raghuram, Swami Bodhananda of Sambodh Society, Yoga Bharati Senior Yoga Therapists.
Module 3 - Intensive Classrom Sessions (Winter 2019)
Module 3 Duration: Eight Weekends - Fall 2018 (Sat, Jan 5th 2019 - Sun Feb 24th 2019)
Days/Times: Sat and Sun 7am - 1:00pm
Saturday Venue - Tulip Afterschool, Sunnyvale
Sunday Venue - Xpressions Studio, Saratoga
Module 4 - Yoga Retreat and Workshops
Workshops on Yoga Anatomy and Kinesiology, Pranayama workshops, Advancing in Yoga workshops by YB senior therapists, Workshops by experts in the field such as Swami Bodhananda Saraswati, Raghuramji, and other field experts of Yoga Bharati affiliated institutions, selected workshops by Yoga Bharati affiliates, Ayurveda institutions, etc.
Duration: Announced as a calendar of events
When: Usually Saturdays and Sundays at Yoga Bharati Center Main Center
Venue: Varies, but many of the activities happen in Yoga Bharati Main Center at 20445, Prospect Rd, Suite #1 San Jose, CA-95129
A. Mandatory Requirements for Workshops:
- At least one Ayurveda Workshop for Clients
- At least two Yoga Intervention Program Orientation session for yoga therapy clients and later to conduct one such session independently under mentor's guidance.
- At least two disease Specific Workshops and later to conduct one session independently under mentor's guidance.
- At least two stress management workshops and to conduct one session independently under mentor's guidance.
- Bhagavad Gita and its applications in yoga therapy
- Patanjali Yoga Sutras and its applications in yoga therapy
- To attend at least 20 hours of Philosophy Sessions such as upanishads and Bhagavad Gita, Brahmasutra, Atma Bodha, Tattva Bodha, Sankhya etc.
- To attend at least one yoga retreat organized by Yoga Bharati for its yoga therapy students.
B. Yoga Retreat - We conduct annual retreat each year in April or May. Students are required to attend a retreat.
Retreat contains Depth of Yoga, Chanting, Sanskrit Shlokas, Philosophy, Karma Yoga, Bhajans and Devotional sessions, meditation etc.
Module 5- Internship at YB Therapy Centers
Internship involves yoga therapy session delivery, under guidance of mentor. The student is required to do the overall case handling - Protocol development, Documentation, Corrective measures, Pre and Post Health Analysis, Yogic Life Coaching on Happiness Analysis - Stress Factors, Notional Issues and Corrections. A minimum of 85 hours of internship is mandatory.
- Health assessment (shadow and assist)
- Followup Health assessment (shadow and assist)
- Session Delivery (shadow and assist)
- Independent Session Delivery (under mentorship)
Module 6 - Internship at VYASA, Bangalore
The student is required to attend a minimum of two weeks of internship at Swami Vivekananda Yoga Research Foundation at Bangalore, India. The student is required to attend various yoga sessions, visiting of various yoga departments and case studies in Arogyadhama. A template of journal will be provided to fill during the internship and submit it with the VYASA mentor’s signature.
Module 7 - Practicum Delivery, Dissertation, and Case Presentation
A minimum of 120 hours of yoga therapy session delivery, under guidance of mentor. The student is required to do the overall case handling - Protocol developed, Documentation, Corrective measures, Pre and Post Health Analysis, Yogic Life Coaching on Happiness Analysis - Stress Factors, Notional Issues and Corrections.
Students receive two certificates after completion of program.
- Certificate from VYASA for graduating their Post Graduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy
- Certiificate from Yoga Bharati (with IAYT accreditation). You can use this to apply with International Association of Yoga Therapists to become IAYT Certified Yoga Therapist.
Self paced after the classroom hours; Approx 2-4 years. By self-paced, we mean that your internship at Yoga Bharati, your internship at SVYASA Bangalore, India, yoga retreat, practicum delivery and dissertation and oral examination, can be done at your pace.
Call us or email us at dyt @ yogabharati.org to know the details.
Application requires exhaustive answering of questions. Ask us before filling this form
2. Yoga Therapy Foundation Course
Goal: Experienced yoga teacher who has yoga therapy background. One can start helping yoga therapy classes under senior yoga therapists.
Scope: Yoga therapy fundamentals – anatomy and physiology, common ailments, basic medical management and yogic management of some selected common NCDs, case studies, best practices.
Modules: Module 1 -3 weekend sessions and weekday online classes
Certificate/Accreditation:Yoga Bharati Certificate of completion. This course completion certificate can be used in future to take the full Diploma Course in the next batch. You also receive credits for continued education for yoga teachers.
FEES: Call us for Details
3. Yoga Therapy Distance Education Support for VYASA Students
Yoga Bharati will be please to give distance education support to the students at a nominal charge to enable students to learn therapy fundamentals. Call us for details.
If you would like to learn more about the program, please contact dyt @ yogabharati.org. Or Call us at 408-341-YOGA (9642) X 3 to know the details.
Our experienced and dedicated staff are committed to providing you the highest quality therapy education and training using the best combined resources of Yoga Bharati and VYASA
- Two Eight weekends of intensive course on Saturday and Sunday (6-7 hours each day)
- Weekly online classes (2 years as scheduled in a given course)
- Lectures by Staff from SVYASA or other field experts – in person and teleconference
- Self-Study, Self practice, completing assignments and tests
- Internship at Yoga Bharati Centers
- Practicum - Therapy sessions to be taught by the students for the project report (dissertation)
- Visit to Prashanti Kutiram (Health Center) of Vyasa (Bangalore, India) for a min duration of 2 weeks, ideally 4 weeks, at your convenience
- Project report/Dissertation on various ailments
What to expect from this course?
- An extensive knowledge of various yoga practices and their applications in addressing ailments – Integrated Approach to Yoga Therapy
- Study of human anatomy with respect to various psychosomatic ailments and Yogic management of Ailments
- Concepts of four streams of yoga through Bhagavad Gita – Jnana Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Karma Yoga and Raja Yoga and its application in Yoga Therapy practice.
- Selected sutras of Patanjali Yoga Sutras and their meanings and concept
- Basic knowledge about alternative therapies like Ayurveda, Naturopathy etc.
- Psychology with Yogic Perspective
- Research Methodology
- Advanced Yoga Techniques
- Spiritual Self growth
- A goal towards achieving peace and harmony for the self and the society
What can I do after completing this course?
One can choose to establish one’s career as a Yoga Therapist for psychosomatic ailments or one can simply use this knowledge and experience to help ones own health and spiritual growth; Or help the community and take this as a hobby.
What is the duration of the course?
The course is a brought in affiliation with SVYASA, Bangalore. Mandatory classroom hours are held in different venues of the Bay Area. Distance education hours are done at your convenience and logged for our records. All the assignments and tests are to be submitted at your pace which will then be assessed and evaluated by the faculty for grading purposes. Upon completion of all the requirements, a certificate will be issued from VYASA and a certificate from Yoga Bharati that is eligible towards International Association of Yoga Therapists certified Yoga Therapist. An average working individual should give himself/herself, 3-4 years to complete the course depending on one’s commitment and dedication.
Why should I take this course with Yoga Bharati?
Yoga Bharati’s goal is to provide the students with high standards of education and a glimpse into the spiritual grandeur of yoga and its multi-faceted field. This course is a platform for your career as well as to achieve spiritual sadhana (self study and practice) to achieve a better quality of life resulting from the practice of yoga, both on and off the mat.
Yoga Bharati has been conducting yoga therapy sessions for various ailments since 2008. Our senior yoga therapists have a decade of experience in handling various ailments to share their knowledge and experience in Diploma courses. Apart from this, Yoga Bharati will be hosting experts in the field of yoga philosophy and therapeutic applications of yoga from SVYASA, and other organizations as available.
Email: dyt @ yogabharati.org
Phone: 408-341-YOGA (9642) /(855) 202-7747