Summer Yoga Yajna (Yogathon) 2016 - International Day of Yoga Celebration
Yoga Yajna - Yogathon
Yoga Yagna is a 21 day Yogathon where people practice yoga and report it to the group on their practice. This serves as a motivation for others to practice in a community setting. Yoga Bharati conducts Yogathon in Winter and summer to bring awareness about the benefits of yoga in the community.
- Winter Yogathon - Jan 14 - Feb4th Every Year
- Summer Yogathon - June 1st - June 21st Every Year
Note: June 21st is recognized by United Nations as International Yoga Day
Yoga Yajna consists of:
- Suryanamaskar (SN) - Sun Salutations
- Shavasana - Mindful Supine Rest (Yoga Nidra)
- OM Chanting
From Bay Area (Practice 108 SN at Sevathon on June 26th in San Jose)?
We invite you to join us at Sevathon for final practice of 2 sets (24 rounds), 4 sets (48 rounds) or 9 sets (108 rounds) of Surya Namaskars on June 26th at Arena Green East in San Jose, CA - Details - YB SEVATHON PAGE
Yoga Yajna Milestones and Goals
Be a Sadhaka - One who yearns and works towards his/her Goal with commitment to the cause. Below are some options to choose from. You can sign up for one or mix and match in those 21 days.
- Nachiketa Yajna - Yogathon for busy Sadhakas- 4-12 SN, 3 min Shavasana Rest and 9-27 Aum Chantings (takes 15-20 mins)
- Vivekananda Yajna - Yogathon for the committed Sadhakas - 12-24 SNs, 3-8 mins of Shavasana Rest and 9-27 Aum Chantings (45-60 mins)
- Adi-Shankara Yajna - Yogathon for the striving Sadhakas - 24-48 SNs, 8 mins of Shavasana Rest and 27 or more Aum Chanting (6-90 mins)
- Patanjali Yajna - Yogathon for the passionate Sadhakas - over 36-108 SNs, 8 mins of Shavasana Rest and 27 or more Aum Chantings (60-120 mins)
Yoga For All (Modifications for Health Conditions)
We provide different types of Surya Namaskars (SN) for people who cannot perform classic dynamic SNs in a Yajna (Marathon) setting. We have variation for shoulder/back pain and chair Surya Namaskar for seniors and people with knee pain and other conditions where they cannot practice on the mat. Scroll Down to see the pictures of these styles but please learn from teachers before practicing on your own. Contact us for details.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar
Surya Namaskar has a very powerful influence on all the systems of the body: nervous, circulatory, respiratory, digestive, etc. Helps loosen the joints and muscles in the body. The combination of all asanas performed as cyclic practice has many health benefits such as weight loss, vitalizing the entire body, sharpening the mind and reaching optimal health.
Cyclic Practice of yogic postures in Surya Namaskar helps to loosen up joints and muscles in a short period of time.
- Abdominal organs are alternately stretched and compressed. This ensures proper functioning of the organs.
- Surya Namaskar removes nervous tension and anxiety due to the dynamic nature of the practice.
- This practice also has a profound positive effect on the back as it involves alternate backward and forward bends. It also improves spinal flexibility and results in improved immunity.
- Surya Namaskar energizes the body through a combination of stimulation and relaxation.
- Surya Namaskar is a very effective cardiovascular exercise and the continuous variability of muscle length during a flow of 10 postures reducing the probability of the types of injuries typically seen in other forms of aerobic activity.
- The alternate expansion and contraction of the chest helps in regulating and deepening the breath through the practice and for a novice practitioner, it is the best way to learn the breath synchronization aspect of yoga practice.
- Surya Namaskar enhances body awareness and improves overall quality of life.
- Surya Namaskar practice helps immensely in developing the capacity of mindfulness in everything we do.
- When practiced in a community setting, the overall synergy and good will helps the entire community to bind together for a good cause and to work for the society’s well being. Need Detailed Report on Suryanamaskar Benefits and Literature ? - Read More
Benefits of Shavasana
Shavasana is a wakeful sleep called Yoga Nidra. It helps bring awareness to the body and provides complete rest to the entire body and mind with all its inner organs and faculty of thinking.
Benefits of Aum Chanting
The goal of yoga is to silence the mind. Aum is a great support to take for silencing of the easily distractible mind. Silence after Aum is the most important aspect of the practice
Chanting 27 rounds of Aum will be a great pranayama practice as one regulates and coordinates breath with it. Helps expand the lung capacity when practiced with deep breathing.
- Aum is a passive syllable that does not have any emotion or meaning associated with it in the regular sense of the word. Hence it removes any thoughts and emotions of the mind.
- Aum can be broken down into A — for resonance in the lower part of the body; U - for resonance in the middle part of the body; and M - for resonance in the head region; Thus it produces vibrations in the entire body from toe to head.
- Mandukya upanishad associates A with wakeful state, U with dream state and M with deep sleep state. The silence after the chanting is the ultimate state called Turiya, the transcendance of body and mind.
Phone: 408-341-YOGA (9642)