Advanced Courses in Yoga Therapy and Wellness
(DYT available in the Bay Area, California)
Yoga Bharati offers Diploma in Yoga Therapy (DYT), Yoga Wellness Foundation Course. These courses are extensive courses in yoga and its therapeutic applications along with a depth in yogat philosophy from the ancient scriptures of Upanishad, Bhagavad Gita and Patanjali Yoga Sutras. We are affiliated to Swami Vivekananda Yoga Research Foundation (SVYASA), Bangalore, a premier Yoga University in India that has conducted research on yoga and its application to various ailments such as Diabetes, Hypertension, Backpain, Asthma, Cancer, etc. SVYASA has published more than 250 research papers and these are peer reviewed, published in various international journals and can be found on pubmed (keywords to search ‘Vivekananda yoga’). This exhaustive and fulfilling course is provided and made easy for the busy working people. We have designed this course to be an easy-to-do course for working professionals. Below are some details.
Click here for a preview of the information session and the course.
Courses we offer:
- Diploma in Yoga Therapy (will be applied for International Association of Yoga Therapists accreditation).
- Diploma in Yoga Therapy Distance Education Support for VYASA Students (no IAYT accreditation).
- Yoga Wellness Foundation Course
Pre-requisites: YIC (Yoga Instructors Course or Yoga Teachers Training)
Below is the description of the course. Please write to us for queries.
Experienced yoga teacher who teaches yoga to address various disorders in a private practice, in an institution, or in a business setup. Alternatively, one could lead yoga therapy and practice independently in hospitals or health care centers as a senior yoga therapist.
Yoga therapy fundamentals - anatomy and physiology, common ailments, basic medical management and yogic management, case studies, best practices. Yoga Tools such as Asanas, Pranayama, Relaxation and Meditation Techniques and their applications Integrated Approach of Yoga Therapy Concepts, Research Methodologies, Traditional Holistic Systems, and their integration with Yoga Therapy; Psychology, Yogic concept of mind, its distractions and the technique of calming down the mind; Yoga philosophy and ancient yoga texts and their relevance to modern life and their application in yoga therapy; Exposure to most of the necessary areas such as senior yoga, prenatal, kids, cares giver stress and yogic Life Coaching. Self study and sadhana and improving student’s own experience and practice at all levels of personality.
We deliver the course in seven Modules as below:
Six weeks Intensive Weekend Sessions (Module 1)
Where: Yoga Bharati Center – 20445, Prospect Rd, Suite #1 San Jose, CA-95129
Weekly Online Sessions Module 2
Wed: Morning 6am – 7am PS
Sessions by Dr. Nagarathna, Raghuramji, Swami Bodhananda, Yoga Bharati Senior Yoga Therapists and other qualified staff from VYASA, Center for Spiritual Enlightenment (CSE) and other associated organizations. Apart from this, we will be conducting sessions on Pranayama, MSRT, Cyclic Meditation and PET, initially by senior students of Yoga Therapy and then we will be asking you to teach and we provide comments on teaching methodologies. On average about 60 sessions.
Monthly Workshops (Module 3)
Duration: Two Years months: 1 weekend every month (on average, 18 months)
When: Saturday and Sunday, 12 noon – 4pm both days
Venue: Yoga Bharati Center – 20445, Prospect Rd, Suite #1 San Jose, CA-95129
Yoga Retreat and Workshops (Module 4)
We announce one to two retreats each year. Participants can attend either one of them.
1. Retreat contains Depth of Yoga, Chanting, Sanskrit Shlokas, Philosophy, Karma Yoga, Bhajans and Devotional sessions, meditation etc.
2. Workshops on Yoga Anatomy and Kinesiology, Pranayama workshops, Advancing in Yoga workshops by YB senior therapists, Workshops by experts in the field such as Swami Bodhananda Saraswati, Raghuramji, and other field experts of Yoga Bharati affiliated institutions, selected workshops by Yoga Bharati affiliates, Ayurveda institutions, etc.
Internship at YB Therapy Centers (Module 5)
A minimum of 30 hours of yoga therapy session delivery, under guidance of mentor. The student is required to do the overall case handling - Protocol development, Documentation, Corrective measures, Pre and Post Health Analysis, Yogic Life Coaching on Happiness Analysis - Stress Factors, Notional Issues and Corrections.
Internship at VYASA, Bangalore (Module 6)
Attend various yoga sessions, visiting of various yoga departments and case studies in Arogyadhama. A template of journal will be provided to fill during the internship and submit it with the VYASA mentor’s signature.
Practicum Delivery, Dissertation, and Case Presentation (Module 7)
A minimum of 120 hours of yoga therapy session delivery, under guidance of mentor. The student is required to do the overall case handling - Protocol developed, Documentation, Corrective measures, Pre and Post Health Analysis, Yogic Life Coaching on Happiness Analysis - Stress Factors, Notional Issues and Corrections.
Students receive two certificates after completion of program.
· Certificate from VYASA for graduating their Post Graduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy
· Certiificate from Yoga Bharati (with IAYT accreditation upon approval).
Self paced after the contact hours; Approx 2-4 years. By self-paced, we mean that your internship at Yoga Bharati, your internship at SVYASA Bangalore, India, yoga retreat, practicum delivery and dissertation and oral examination, can be done at your pace.
Diploma in Yoga Therapy Distance Education Support for VYASA Students
This is a self-paced Diploma in Yoga therapy brought to you in affiliation with VYASA, Bengaluru. Yoga Bharati will be please to give distance education support to the students at a nominal charge to enable students to learn therapy fundamentals.
Including the self-paced workshops, retreats, field practice, shadowing etc.the course can take 2-3 years to complete. Our experienced and dedicated staff are committed to providing you the highest quality therapy education and training using the best combined resources of Yoga Bharati and VYASA
Self Paced – We understand that you may have other commitments. Hence we make this a self paced course after some mandatory in-person classes. Call us for more information.
If you would like to learn more about the program, please contact dyt @ yogabharati.org
3. Yoga Wellness Foundation Course
Goal: Experience yoga teacher who has yoga therapy background. One can start helping yoga therapy classes under senior yoga therapists.
Scope: Yoga therapy fundamentals – anatomy and physiology, common ailments, basic medical management and yogic management of some selected common NCDs, case studies, best practices.
Modules: Module 1- Intensive course on consecutive 6 weekends and weekday online classes
Certificate/Accreditation:Yoga Bharati Certificate of completion. This course completion certificate can be used in future to take the full Diploma Course in the next batch.
- Six weekends of intensive course on Saturday and Sunday (6-7 hours each day)
- Twice a week online classes (2 years as scheduled in a given course)
- Lectures by Staff from SVYASA or other field experts – in person and teleconference
- Self-Study, Self practice, completing assignments and tests
- Internship at Yoga Bharati Centers
- Field Practice – Therapy classes to be taught by the students for the project report (dissertation)
- Visit to Prashanti Kutiram (Health Center) of Vyasa (Bangalore, India) for a min duration of 2 weeks, ideally 4 weeks, at your convenience
- Project report/Dissertation on various ailments
What to expect from this course?
- An extensive knowledge of various yoga practices and their applications in addressing ailments – Integrated Approach to Yoga Therapy
- Study of human anatomy with respect to various psychosomatic ailments and Yogic management of Ailments
- Concepts of four streams of yoga through Bhagavad Gita – Jnana Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Karma Yoga and Raja Yoga
- Selected sutras of Patanjali Yoga Sutras and their meanings and concept
- Alternative therapy like Ayurveda, Naturopathy etc.
- Psychology with Yogic Perspective
- Research Methodology
- Advanced Yoga Techniques
- Spiritual Self growth
- A goal towards achieving peace and harmony for the self and the society
What can I do after completing this course?
One can choose to establish one’s career as a Yoga Therapy Teacher for psychosomatic ailments or one can simply use this knowledge and experience to help ones own health and spiritual growth; Or help the community and take this as a hobby.
What is the duration of the course?
The course is a brought in affiliation with SVYASA, Bangalore. Mandatory contact hours are held in different venues of the Bay Area. Non-contact hours are done at your convenience and logged for our records. All the assignments and tests are to be submitted at your pace which will then be assessed and evaluated by the faculty for grading purposes. Upon completion of all the requirements, a certificate will be issued from VYASA and we are in the process of accreditation with International Association of Yoga Therapists. An average working individual should give himself/herself, 3-4 years to complete the course depending on one’s commitment and dedication.
Why should I take this course with Yoga Bharati?
Yoga Bharati’s goal is to provide the students with high standards of education and a glimpse into the spiritual grandeur of yoga and its multi-faceted field. This course is a platform for spiritual sadhana (self study and practice) to achieve a better quality of life resulting from the practice of yoga, both on and off the mat.
Yoga Bharati has been conducting yoga therapy classes for various ailments since 2008. Our yoga teachers are in constant touch with VYASA experts in handling various ailments and are experienced enough to conduct classes to share their knowledge and experience. Apart from this, Yoga Bharati will be hosting experts in the field of yoga philosophy and therapeutic applications of yoga from SVYASA, and other organizations as available.
Email: dyt @ yogabharati.org
Phone: (855) 202-7747 / 408-341-YOGA (9642)