Kids Second Semester 2017 Yoga Workshops
Note: Classes are 60-75 mins duration
Youth of today are under heavy stress. Stress is a reaction to the external situation and not the situation itself. Some students are relaxed even the day before exams and some are stressed weeks before the exams. This shows that we have control over our reaction to external situation. Can the child be relaxed and yet handle all that is needed to be done to excel and meet the parents/schools’ expectations? Absolutely, and yoga helps with that. Yoga creates the entire support system and provides a stress-free environment for a healthy child.
What do we teach and why?
- Dynamic practices and yogasanas for building presence of mind. We aim for progression towards flexibility and holding for long with ease.
- Pranayama - We teach them to hold their nose and sit for alternate nostril breathing or single nostril breathing - upto 15 mins ! This improves their focus.
- Games - We play simple games that help bring presence of mind, strategy building techniques and as stress relief techniques.
- Learning to learn – We teach short mantras and shlokas, and explain the meaning through simple stories and anecdotes. Apart from powerful vibrations, they also help build ethics such as — Non-violence, Truthfulness and non-greed into the children.
- Meditation - Chanting for relaxation, awareness and breath work. Kids can chant Aum for upto 10 mins and be silent for upto 5 mins with their eyes closed. We will aim to achieve that.
- Ayurveda and Health Awareness - We bring sessions on Ayurveda, seasonal nutrition and lifestyle changes and simple practical aspects of sprouting, juicing, spice related awareness, etc.
- Harmony with Mother Nature - we also teach them to be environment consciousness, eating natural foods instead of refrigerated, processed and canned foods, buying local produce, visiting farmers' market, conserving water, green living, recycling etc.
Second Semester Workshop Details
Duration: Jan 7th - May 24 th, 2017 (South Bay and Fremont locations). Other locations please visit specific page
Who: Children ages 6-18 yrs (Usually we have two groups - one for younger children and the other for youth)
When: (See calendar for different centers below)
Where: Cupertino/San Jose, Fremont, Evergreen, Pleasanton/Tri-Valley, and Milpitas. please visit specific page
Fees: (Depending on the workshop and location, our rates vary, write to us)
My child does many activities? One more yoga?
- In every other place, the child learns, we make them unlearn.
- While everyone stimulates your child, we make them relax.
- While others make sure your child's eyes are open, we make sure your child's eyes are closed.
- We are opposite of all other learning. They need to slow down too.
- Slow and Steady wins the race.
(Covers Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Saratoga and W San Jose)
Workshops for Parents as follows:
Feb 4th and 5th - 10.30am - Stress Free Parenting
Apr 22nd and 23rd - 10.30am - Strengthening Relationship with your Child
|Gita Chanting (kids and adults)|
|Kids Yoga (6-10 yrs)|
|Yoga for Flexibility youth (11+) and Adults|
|Yoga for kids (6-10yrs)|
|Yoga for Youth (11+yrs)|
|9.00 am||Yoga for Kids (11+)|
|10.30 am||Yoga for Kids (6-10)|
Venue: Sanatana Dharma Kendra, 3102 Landess Ave, San Jose, CA 95132
Classes are starting in January 2017
Day/Time: Sundays 9.30 – 10.45 am for Children ages 6-12 years
How does practicing yoga help in Childrens' memory development?
- Relaxed learning deepens the perception
- Reducing distractability and increasing attention span through relaxed attentiveness
- Activating dormant areas of the brain through stimulation and relaxation
- Sifting useful memories from useles ones through awareness
Research on Yoga for Focus/Memory and ADHD kids
Stunningly, recent research suggested that babies learn better when they are sleepy, not when they are wide awake telling us that Yoga Nidra (wakeful sleep) is a good learning aid for all age groups.
Yoga improves memory better than Brain Training? Research brings out this aspect.
- Timely sleep facilitates declarative memory consolidation in infants, Seehagen, Konrad et al [PNAS 1985 82 (21) 7470 – 7473]
- Children aged 11 to 16 years showed a significant increase of 43% in spatialmemory scores: Manjunath.N.K, Telles et al [Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2004 Jul;48(3):353-6]
- Significant improvement in the ADHD symptoms as assessed on CARS (P-0.014), ADHD-RS IV (P=0.021) and CGI- S scales: Hariprasad et al (P=0.004) [Indian J Psychiatry. 2013 Jul;55(Suppl 3):S379-84]
- Peer-mediated multimodal intervention program with yoga and meditation for the treatment of children with ADHD in India; One-year followup showed improvement in Vanderbilt questionnaires in 92% and remarkable improvements in the students’ school performances that were sustained throughout the year: Mehta, Shah et al [ISRN Pediatr. 2012;2012:419168]